Summer is the perfect time to reset our goals, routines, and our bodies as well! Sometimes we can get into some not-so-good eating habits, being a tad bit lazy, and really just not living as our best selves. Doing a detox to reset and renew our bodies can be a wonderful way to break bad habits and cravings, renew our love for healthy living, and give us a glow from the inside out.
I found this three day vegan detox plan last year from Beauty Bites, and I really enjoyed doing it. I did it again with my sister a couple weeks ago, and wow, was it good! The second day all of our cravings were acting up, but by the end of the three days, we weren’t even wanting sweets or junk food anymore. In fact we have just been having a coffee or chai in the morning with collagen and a superfood creamer, and not feeling hungry or snacky all day. I’ve also noticed that I actually want and enjoy veggies more, and don’t want bread/sweets as much.
So what exactly is a 3 day detox?
It is three days of eating raw foods, taking care of yourself, and forming healthy habits! Although it does take some self control and determination, you will feel SO good and refreshed afterwards. You can even do it for a bit longer if you want (like a week) if you’re feeling good and like you want to keep at it! This is honestly a super simple + easy detox that anyone can do, so you have no excuses 😉
What this detox will help you + your body do…
- reduce chronic inflammation
- enhance liver detoxification
- decrease sugar cravings
- stop thinking so much about food all the time
- reset taste buds and change food preferences
- boost energy
- improve skin and maybe lose a little bit of weight
What you’ll be doing in order to reach those goals…
- eat lots of veggies + fruit – all in their raw form!
- stay very well hydrated – if you have a hard time doing this, check out my post on delicious ways to make your water taste yummy!
- having at least 3 hours in between meals + eating the last meal of the day 3 hours before bedtime
- eating anti-inflammatory + vitamin rich foods (listed below)
- staying away from sugar, caffeine, gluten, dairy, and all animal products.
- no processed foods (boxed/packaged foods such as chips and snacks)
Foods to include:
“For this 3-day anti-inflammatory detox plan, make sure to eat a variety of the following foods every day and make vegetables a priority (around 80% of your food).
These foods fight inflammation and provide your body with real energy and nutrients that have anti-aging and antioxidant properties. They’re shown to prevent various diseases and also improve bone and skin health, especially when combined together.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C-rich foods like berries, kiwi, cabbage, lemons, oranges, parsley (well, most fruits and vegetables).
- Carotenoids: These are green and orange/red foods like tomatoes (sun-dried and tomato paste are also good), carrots, spinach, kale, arugula.
- Vitamin E & healthy fats: Great sources of vitamin E and healthy fats are raw nuts and seeds (almonds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews), avocado, coconut
- Special Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory: These foods are powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory – a little bit goes a long way. We’re talking garlic, onions, herbs and spices like turmeric, cumin, chili powder, basil, parsley, ginger.
- Grains and legumes: To get a good combination of fiber and protein – chickpeas, lentils, quinoa & millet.
- Sweet Fruit: To add some more fiber and sweetness – banana (1/day) or mango.
- Water Water is my favorite food! Alright, I know it’s not a food, but it’s important to drink enough water while doing this 3-day detox.” (From Beauty Bites)
What not to eat during this detox:
- sugar – this includes coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup, and any other processed form of sugar
- limit dried fruit
- caffeine – sorry, coffee! You can most definitely drink herbal, non-caffeinated teas though!
- dairy + gluten ( cheese, milk, butter, etc. and oats, flour, etc.)
- meat, and any animal products
You will feel SO good after this detox, and your body will love you for taking care of it and giving it a fresh start by eating these nourishing + healing foods! Remember, it’s only three days, so you got this!
Breakfast: Option 1 – Green Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 small banana
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1- 1 1/2 cups plant based milk or water
Blend altogether until smooth and drink. Click here for full recipe.
Breakfast: Option 2 – Creamy Antioxidant Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup plant based milk
- 2 cups fresh greens – spinach, kale, etc.
- 1 tbs flax seeds
Blend together until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Lunch & Dinner: Option 1 – Fresh & Flavorful Tabbouleh
- olive oil
- lemon juice
Lunch & Dinner: Option 2 – Detox Arugula, Tomato, and Avocado Salad
- 1 – 2 cups arugula
- handful basil leaves
- 1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 -1/2 sliced avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 3 sweet mini peppers, chopped
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- olive oil, lemon juice, salt + pepper to taste for dressing
Wash everything beforehand, then chop and mix together!
Lunch & Dinner: Option 3 – Greek Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 cup chickpeas – rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
- olive oil, lemon juice, and salt + pepper to taste
Mix together everything and and voila! Enjoy!
Snacks + Sweet tooth fixes:
- raw cookie dough balls
- fresh fruit + nuts
- leftover smoothie from breakfast
- fresh veggies
- raw carrot cake bites (omit the maple syrup)
I cycled through the three lunch/dinner options for all of the three days, and just did those two smoothie recipes for the breakfasts as well. I mean it’s only three days, so you don’t need a whole ton of recipes. Once for breakfast I was running out the door really early in the morning, and so I just grabbed a banana and handful of pecans, so that is an option too for a meal if you really don’t feel like making something – just grabbing some fruit and nuts.
Working out + extra tips
- Since we won’t be eating a whole lot during this detox, don’t do any weight lifting and/or cardio. Just stick to some yoga or pilates and make sure to be kind to yourself!
- Again, make sure to stay hydrated – drink at least half of your body weight in ounces a day.
- Only eat snacks if you are hungry.
- Don’t overthink it. If you accidentally eat something that you “weren’t supposed to” then don’t think that you ruined the whole thing. Just make sure that you get back on track and try to stay as close to the eating schedule as possible.