I recently got my second ear piercing, which was one of my goals for summer, and I’m so happy with it! It’s been about 3 weeks since I got them done, and I’ve learned quite a lot through the whole experience of getting it pierced, and going through the healing process.
If you are considering getting your ears pierced, or have recently done that, then read on, because I am going to share everything from before to after care advice, tips + tricks, my favorite earrings, and more that will help you feel prepared and confident with getting your ears pierced and caring for them afterward!
What to do before + during
This may not be something that many people think about, but there are a couple really important things to do before getting a piercing. First, you must understand that your body is going to be wounded, and that it will take several months to fully heal. You WON’T be in pain for several months – in fact, it should only be slightly uncomfortable for about a week. But, in order to help your body heal smoothly and lower your risk of infection, you need to care for it! For about a week or two before getting your piercing (and during the healing process), eat nourishing, healthy, immune system-building foods and take vitamin C to help your body get strong to fight infection and heal well. Also, make sure that you’re pierced with surgical stainless steel or pure gold, as this is the best quality metal that you can get!
Foods + recipes to nourish and build your immune system
- 10 superfoods you need in your life
- Green Pineapple smoothie (vegan + raw)
- Immune boosting foods + roasted root & salmon recipe
- Hydrating + Refreshing Summer Drink Recipes
- Fresh & Flavorful Tabbouleh; a summer salad recipe
- Cookie dough balls four ways! ( raw + vegan)
- Raw and vegan carrot cake bites
- Vegan Zucchini Blueberry muffins
Helping the healing process
You might feel a little bit worried about infection, how to sleep on your piercings, how to care for them, and the like. It really isn’t as complicated and stressful as it may seem. After getting your ears pierced (I got mine done at Claire’s) they should give you instructions and a solution for cleaning your piercings. If not, make sure to get some saline solution and read my tips below.
- Clean them 2-3 times a day. So at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Keep your hands off except when cleaning them – this will reduce risk of infection and help them to heal without being further irritated.
- Put your saline/cleaning solution in a little glass spray bottle to make cleaning super simple and not as irritating as rubbing them with a Q-tip.
- To clean, spray the solution (or soak with a Q-tip) once onto the front and back of your piercing. Gently wiggle forward and backward so that the solution can get into the hole, and then lightly twist halfway back and forth a couple of times.
- Try not to sleep on them. This is so hard for me as I always sleep on my sides, but sleeping on your back will help your ears to heal better and not hurt a bad.
- Again, eat immune system boosting foods that will keep your body healthy and strong! See the above for more on this.
Getting rid of infection
Getting infected piercings should not happen if you are following the tips above and the instructions you should’ve gotten from your piercer. But, it still could happen, so what to do when it does? First of all, don’t panic, you’re gonna be ok. Second, read the tips below!
- Continue cleaning them, but but make sure to be gentle. Add a couple drops of *Young Living Frankincense or Copaiba essential oil to your cleaning solution spray bottle. This will help to heal and fight the infection.
- Try a salt water soak by mixing 1 tbs of sea salt with 1/2 – 1 cup of warm water and soak your piercing in for 5-10 minutes. Do this a couple times a day.
My favorite earrings for after your piercings have healed
These stainless steel studs below are my favorite earrings! I got them in rose gold, but there is rose gold, gold, and silver options too. They are pretty small and simple, which is why I love them, and they’re absolutely perfect for layering with other earrings!
I hope that you enjoyed this and that it was helpful for you! Are your ears pierced? Have you recently decided to get a piercing? Let me know your thoughts + questions in the comments below!