This Mediterranean dish is a burst of freshness and flavor and is the perfect recipe for summer! I love this tabbouleh recipe so much as its full of healthy, nourishing and DELICIOUS ingredients and it goes wonderfully with so many meals. Mediterranean and Greek is one of my favorite “genres” of food, so when we recently made homemade falafel, tzatziki, and tabbouleh (I hope you had fun pronouncing those!) in wraps… you can be sure that I was in my happy place 🙌🏻 .
As we are getting SO close to it officially being summer, I wanted to start sharing some of my favorite refreshing and healthy summer recipes that are perfect for detoxing, working out, running out the door, enjoying a day in the sun, and more! As summer is my favorite season, so is “summery” food. Mainly because of how luscious and healthful most in season foods and recipes are like green smoothies, salads, cold treats, etc. So, officially starting off the summer food recipes will be this tabouleh, which we will now talk about so you can understand + love it as much as I do!
What is tabbouleh and what’s it made of?
Tabbouleh is a Mediterranean dish that is mainly made of parsley, tomatoes, cucumber, and couscous or a grain. My family makes it with quinoa and uses a little bit more quinoa than parsley as we enjoy it like that. It’s basically a Middle Eastern grain salad that bursts with flavor and freshness and honestly, makes. me. happy. You can eat it by itself, with a Greek meal, or add a source protein to it such as chicken or chickpeas. I also enjoy adding some diced avocado or spinach to it once in a while, though that’s completely optional!
What’s in it…
- Quinoa – a superfood grain that complements this meal wonderfully as a gluten-free and healthier replacement for couscous or other grains.
- Tomatoes – ripe cherry or grape tomatoes are perfect for this recipe!
- Cucumber – oh, need I say more? Cucumbers have the most delicious, refreshing taste that brings a hydrating crunch to the recipe.
- Parsley – a huge main ingredient in this salad, there is almost as much parsley as quinoa. If you’re not a huge fan of it though, (I completely understand) you can add less.
- Extra virgin olive oil – a Middle Eastern staple! Olive oil adds a delicious and rich taste that brings everything together perfectly.
- Lemon juice, green onion, salt, pepper – delicious additions that make the dish really pop.
Simple, nourishing ingredients that make your body and your taste buds happy!
More recipes that go perfectly with tabbouleh 👇🏻👇🏻
Serves: 6 / Prep time: 30 min / Cook time: o min
- 3 cups cooked, cooled quinoa
- 2 bunches of fresh parsley
- 2 cucumbers
- 12-16oz of cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 bunch little green onions
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash all vegetables. Strip parsley from stems and coarsely chop, cut tomatoes in half, cut cucumbers into quarters, and thinly slice the green onions.
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice as desired.
- Chill for 30 min – 1 hour.
- Mix and serve by itself or as a side. Enjoy!
I hope that you enjoyed this healthy and refreshing summer recipe! Have you ever had tabouleh? Do you enjoy Mediterranean food? Let me know your thoughts + questions in the comments below!