This is my favorite carrot cake recipe because it’s so incredibly nourishing, guilt free, and not to mention, packed full of flavor. I was contemplating between using einkorn and almond flour, but decided to to almond flour because it’s a lot more filling and the recipe ( from Elana’s Kitchen) was super duper simple.
I frosted the cake with actual cream cheese frosting, but made a mini cake for myself with homemade vegan frosting because I try to be dairy free. If you’re doing this option, make sure to prep ahead of time because the cashews in the frosting recipe will need time to soak.
I also toasted a ton of coconut shreds and smothered the cake in it because it complements the flavor sooo well. This step is completely optional though and without doing it, you have a beautiful blank canvas of frosting to leave or do something with.
This cake is perfect for those who are paleo, vegetarian, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, and more. Being super nourishing, guilt free, and simple, this is going to become your favorite carrot cake recipe!
For prepping ahead of time, bake the cake rounds and let them cool on your counter overnight. Make the frosting and store it in the fridge. The next day, simply follow steps 8-9 to frost cake. This is my favorite way to make it!
Makes: two 9 inch cake rounds or one double tiered cake
Serves: 8-10 slices / Prep time: 30ish minutes / Cook time: 30-35 minutes / Cool time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for cake:
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive/avocado/grape seed oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds ( optional for putting on cake)
- 1 batch of cream cheese frosting or vegan cream cheese frosting
Directions for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans well and sprinkle with almond flour
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, and oil. ( pro tip; pour the oil in measuring cup first and coat all sides with it. Pour it in bowl, then add honey to measuring cup )
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix gently until completely incorporated
- Fold in carrots, walnuts, and cranberries or raisins.
- Evenly divide between the two cake pans and smooth. Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until it’s firm and lightly browned. When you insert a toothpick in the middle it should come out completely clean.
- Let cool in the pans for one hour, then gently use a butter knife to loosen the sides off the pan. Use a spatula to gently loosen the bottom, then put a wire rack on top of the cake and pan, and carefully flip over, holding it with both hands. If needed, tap the bottom of pan and cake should plop out. Let cool while you make frosting
- On a plate, cake tier, or board, place bottom cake round. Add a 1/2 inch layer of frosting and evenly spread. Carefully place the second cake round on top and evenly spread another 1/2 inch of frosting on top and around the sides.
9. If desired, toast coconut shreds in small pan until lightly browned and fragrant. let cool for 10 minutes before gently packing on top and sides of cake.
10. Slice and enjoy!!
I hope that you enjoyed this healthy carrot cake recipe! Let me know if you loved it or have any questions or suggestions.
Pin this to keep in your recipe favorites!
More similar posts to love: