Maybe you’ve heard about this detox bath thing on the internet, Instagram, Pinterest, or elsewhere, but what’s all the fuss about it? Well first of all, let me say that hot, steamy baths are pretty nice and relaxing especially when its winter time. Nothing is better than putting on a face mask, getting a good book, and just soaking your cares away… or is there? That’s when it does get even better, because while you’re relaxing and giving your self a little TLC, you can detox and flush toxins out of your body at the same time! So what exactly is a detox bath? Well basically, you guessed it – it’s a bath. But what makes it special is that it includes one or more of the following: apple cider vinegar, epsom salts, coconut oil, and/or essential oils. These natural ingredients can help rid toxins from your body, boost your immune system, relax and de-stress, help irritated or damaged skin, and soothe sore muscles, just to mention a few. So, let’s break down these key components and see how and why they do what they do.
- ACV– encourages your body to release toxins, balances the PH of your skin ( actually helps with acne and blemishes!), can help with dandruff + skin conditions, and removes dead skin cells. ( source)
- epsom salts– detoxifying benefits, soothes sore/achy muscles, relaxes + improves sleep. (source)
- coconut oil- a great moisturizer, seals all the good ingredients into your skin, antibacterial and antimicrobial.
- Essential Oils- amazing for everything, but you can choose specific ones for a detox bath such as eucalyptus for the respiratory system, copaiba for muscles and soothing, and lavender for relaxation. I only recommend using Young Living EOs, and can’t suggest any others since I haven’t tried them.
Now that we know a little bit more about what these ingredients are and how they help us, let’s pick which one of these two combos will work best for you!
- 1 cup ACV + 3/4 cup epsom salts + 10-15 drops YL oils of choice
- 1 tsp coconut oil + 3/4 cup epsom salts + 10-15 drops YL oils of choice
Some oil suggestions are:
- 10 drops lavender + 5 drops copaiba
- 5 drops eucalyptus + 10 drops lavender
- 5 drops R.C. + 5 drops cobaiba
Make your bath hot so that everything mixes together well and you sweat out toxins, but not an unbearable or unsafe temperature of course. Use common sense and nerve endings 😉 . As the bath fills up, add in all the good stuff that you chose and let it mix around until the bath is full. While it fills, now’s the time to put on your face mask ( try this one) , grab a book, and make sure you have a large glass of water next to you so you don’t become dehydrated. Then soak and relax for as long as you like. I usually take 20-30 minute bath and then shower afterwards and use a coffee sugar scrub (recipe coming soon!) to help with further detoxification and dead skin removal. That’s basically it! Just a nice hot bath with some extra additions to help your body feel refreshed and renewed. I hope you enjoyed it!