This super easy dessert/snack/breakfast is: Raw. Vegan. Uses up leftovers. Low calorie. Guilt free. Good for you. Packed full of vitamins. Packed full of fiber, protein, nutrients, and healthy fats. Oh, and it tastes almost exactly like carrot cake with a cream cheese topping.
I found this amazing recipe from the Ferns and Peonies blog. I altered it by adding some leftover juicing pulp we had in the fridge, and leftover cashew milk pulp from making cashew milk! It used up leftovers, and cut down on the time by not having to grate carrots and soak cashew for hours. Honestly, this could be made into a raw carrot cake ice cream bars because the cashew coconut cream topping is like cream cheese frosting when at room temperature, but like ice cream when frozen. So making these into ice cream bars would be a delicious summer time treat!
So, since our food processor is broken, I decided to risk using our vita mix blender- obviously it worked because this recipe is on my blog right now, but I don’t necessarily recommend it unless your blender is a super hard core one. I had to hand chop into tiny bits the dates because the blender could take blending nuts, but not soft dates🤦🏼♀️. I also had to only do tiny bits at a time and then mix it all together in a bowl. So, if you don’t have a food processor, then it can be done, but if you do have one, then please use it. Even if it’s in the dish washer or filled with dirty cold water in the sink, pull it out, roll up your sleeves, and wash it. It’s worth it.
Oh, and put an actual lid on the pan/ container you keep these carrot cake bites in, because if you use plastic wrap, it will be broken into and they might get freezer burn.
Serves: 40ish bites About 94 calories per bite Prep time: 15 min Cook time: NONE! Freezing time: 2 hours
Base layer/ crust ingredients:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 2 cups juicing pulp- beet, carrot, and apple. (Or you can use grated carrots but it isn’t as awesome)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 drops YL Orange Oil or zest from one orange
Creamy cashew coconut topping:
- 1 cup of cashew pulp from homemade cashew milk
- 2/3 cup coconut cream from top of full fat coconut milk can
- 1/4 cup coconut milk/water from bottom of coconut milk can
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 drops YL Orange oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In food processor, blend the walnuts and almonds until they turn into a coarse meal. Then add in the rest of the base layer ingredients.
- Line a large glass baking pan with wax or parchment paper and dump the ingredients into it. Press down and spread evenly with your hands and place in the freezer while you make the top layer.
- In a blender, add all of the top layer ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Take pan out of freezer and pour the cashew coconut cream on top and spread evenly with a spatula. Add a fancy design if you want.
- Cover pan and place back into the freezer for 2 or more hours. Once they are completely frozen, pull it out using the wax paper and place on a cutting board. Cut into small squares and let them defrost before serving. Enjoy!!